Description of the SIM-Cloud service¶
“SIM-Cloud” IaaS is the flagship product of SIM-Networks/Netversor, built on the basis of a software package that implements the functions of the OpenStack cloud platform, which allows you to manage pools of various resources like IaaS.
It is currently the world’s most popular consortium-driven software stack for infrastructure-as-a-service solutions. The OpenStack project is actively developing with the support of a large community, among which are counted the giants of the IT industry: Intel, IBM, AT&T, Canonical, HP, Nebula, Rackspace, Red Hat, SUSE, Ericsson and Huawei.
- IPv4 and IPv6 support
- Ability to create public and local networks
- Ability to create public and private subnets
- Creating vRouter virtual routers
- DHCP service
- NAT service
- Security groups
- Port security
- Floating IP
- Static routing
- Several storage types
- Ability to create snapshots
- Attaching multiple volumes to one instance
- Data migration between different types of storage
- Disk expansion support
- Data encryption at the storage level
- Data Protected storage
- Customer images
- Creating virtual machines (instances) from an image
- Creating virtual machines (instances) from a disk
- Linux/Windows OS support
- SSH-key provision
- Cloud-init automatization
- Ability to connect virtual devices. On-line attach/detach volumes and network interfaces.
- Changing the instance type. Instance resize.
- Metadata support.
- Ready-to-use images
- Web Dashboard
- CLI Tools
- KVM Hypervisor;
- Intel Xeon E5 processor;
- 32 standard configurations: from 1vCPU/1vRAM to 32vCPU/192GB RAM.
- Cloud network. VXLAN Ethernet 10-40 Gbit/sec;
- SAN. Fat Tree Infiniband-56 Gbit network;
- External network 1-10 Gbit/sec
The data storage system (DSS) in the SIM-Cloud is built from software-defined storage (SDS). The best solution for SIMCloud tasks is a Ceph-based solution.
Software-defined storage (SDS) data storage uses two types of disks:
- Bandwidth – 200МB/sec;
- IOPS – 750/sec.
- Bandwidth – 300МB/sec;
- IOPS – 10 000/sec.
The cloud as a whole is formed by hardware, software and engineering components. At the resource level in the SIM-Cloud, N+1 reservation is implemented.
The cloud architecture was designed taking into account the requirements of a high level of reliability, performance and ease of scalability. All hardware infrastructure elements are duplicated. Each server rack is a versatile element of a scalable system. Failure of an entire server rack is not a critical event affecting the operation of the system. All data stored in the cloud remains safe and sound, and customer services remain as available as possible.